SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#241120 - 08/27/08 10:21 AM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays: "Mas Que Nada" on the Yamaha CVP 307
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Me too...

#241121 - 08/27/08 10:37 AM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays: "Mas Que Nada" on the Yamaha CVP 307
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Peter is the THE Keyboard demonstrator as far as i am concerned. He can play his socks off. That was an amazing performance . Thanks Scotty. I wish someone could find the demo of him playing the T2 for an hour when it first came out. It actually made me salivate.

#241122 - 08/27/08 10:47 AM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays: "Mas Que Nada" on the Yamaha CVP 307
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Ok Diki, I'll play along. So you say your not an instigator????

Check out the Thread on the new Combi Editor for the Mediastation as a typical example:

Stick to the subject please! It was Fran who claimed that people in his Solo Musicians Network are better musicians than Baartmans.

And I'm sorry Fran, but I agree with Diki here. Tell me, who IS that great musician in that group then? Didn't he or she post any music on the SMN-website?

#241123 - 08/27/08 11:11 AM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays: "Mas Que Nada" on the Yamaha CVP 307
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Baartman is good.. maybe ..very good..but spectacular...not...
Donny, Uncle Dave, Jerry and I belong to Solo Musicians Network... a third of the players in the group play as well or better...There are more than 6..that I say are spectacular.

Fran, that said, wondering if you consider yourself, Donny, Uncle Dave, and/or Jerry to be among that third of the membership in your elite musicians network who play as well, better, or even nearly as well as Peter Baartmans, as I've yet to see or hear evidence from any member of this forum (myself included of course) who's got even near the level of keyboard chops of Baartmans. This said, both Peter Baartmans and Michel Voncken remain arranger players who I and many other arranger keyboard enthusiasts (amateur and pro alike) admire for BOTH their terrific pianistic & arranger keyboard skills.

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
That IS him playing over an SMF, isn't it?

Diki: Yes, Peter indeed played over a pre-recorded sequenced file. What I appreciate MOST is that the sequence wasn't merely the original version of this song (Brazil 66 or otherwise) but Peter's own SEQUENCED ARRANGEMENT of this classic tune, making this rendition his own.

Scott

#241124 - 08/27/08 11:31 AM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays: "Mas Que Nada" on the Yamaha CVP 307
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Well, Scott, that's interesting...

Is that a fact or a speculation that he did the backing track himself? You have first-hand knowledge?

It's not that I care one way or the other, myself. I have a mixture of commercial SMF's (but they always have to be heavily edited, anyway) and original tracks for myself, too. And a fair number of them start out with a 'capture' of the arranger doing the tune, then some stiff editing to make them work better. So does that qualify as 'me' doing the sequence or not? It doesn't matter one bit, as far as I am concerned

But I like to see the correct credits (if they are given out at all), rather than simple speculation. To be honest, a guy as busy as Baartmans is, you would think he would have little time to sit at home and work on tracks... Lucky guy!

#241125 - 08/27/08 12:51 PM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays: "Mas Que Nada" on the Yamaha CVP 307
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You will find most European performers play along to a Midi or Wav file which they have written and played themselves.
It’s just the way they do things in Europe (Styles are not of major importance in Europe) and have done for decades.
The exception is the UK were they expect everything the Pro player does to be played live. (Rhythm units/Style sections are acceptable providing they are just used for drums or simple backing)
Home uses on the other hand want styles aplenty, even though in reality they stick to a favourite few.

Bill

#241126 - 08/27/08 01:02 PM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays: "Mas Que Nada" on the Yamaha CVP 307
Thilo Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi,

yes, i was the "lucky" guy behind the camera and filmed and published this video on YouTube with Peters great performance.

Few facts about the movies:

* Yes, Peter made his own backings for some tracks (also the first tune "Music"). It´s a Midi which arranged for himself. He also plays styles and some pieces only piano without other sounds at presentations.

* Recorded 05.03.2005 in Gemuenden/Main (Germany near Frankfurt/Main) --> 8th "Yamaha-Forumstreffen".

* Audio-Engineer was Conny Vogel (he works sometimes for Yamaha, last seen at Frankfurt-Music-Fair 2008 at Bert Smorenberg-Shows). Audio-Tracks optimized by "Pedda Schips" (known as Yamaha-Mod and Sound-Designer in Germany). Thanx also to this people for great work.

Hope to present you further videos from Peter in near future.

Thilo.

http://www.youtube.com/ThiloDA
------------------------------

#241127 - 08/27/08 01:34 PM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays: "Mas Que Nada" on the Yamaha CVP 307
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Peter absolutely creates all pieces of his performances himself.... it's amazing how talented this guy is.
For him it is only a couple of minutes to record stunning sounding songs.
In the early eighties I did visit a couple of workshops where Peter showed us how to use sequencer software in combination with soundmodules and a K1000. (Kurzweil)

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Tyros3 presentation by Peter Baartmans.

[This message has been edited by kla4 (edited 08-27-2008).]

#241128 - 08/27/08 02:13 PM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays: "Mas Que Nada" on the Yamaha CVP 307
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
It was indeed my good friend Thilo Selasinsky who contacted me personally to post the link to the latest Baartmans videos, of which he produced.

Thilo. thanks for providing the additional details about your impressive recording. It should be noted that Thilo's not only the webmaster for Peter Baartmans official website and a videographer too, but he's ONE outstanding Professioanl arranger keyboardist in his own right.

That said, Thilo, any chance you might upload that super impressive video of your duet performance (Tyros2 & CVP307) you did with our buddy Stefan Erdman? I really LOVED that video performance, and I'm sure people here would really appreciate seeing it as well. Ok dude, look forward to meeting up with you and Stefan in the near future. Scott

#241129 - 08/27/08 03:06 PM Re: Peter Baartmans Plays: "Mas Que Nada" on the Yamaha CVP 307
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Thilo:
Hi,

Hope to present you further videos from Peter in near future.

Thilo.

Peter Baartmans video's are always a welcome addition to the forum. I always learn something new, and pick up new ideas.

He is definately an inspiration. He seems to be a multitalented showman.

Keep them coming Scott and Thilo!!!!

Regards,

Jerry

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online